Sunday, February 25, 2007

This is a very shallow post

Is anybody else finding this Britney Spears coverage stupid? As in, it's perfectly ok for your average American woman to be marketed as a sex symbol at age 17, cry on TV, get married for 55 hours in Vegas, steal a boyfriend from a pregnant woman, buy a husband, divorce said husband and let him know by text message, neglect her children, start drinking like crazy, sleep around, run around town without underwear, check into and out of rehab, but God forbid she shave her head! THAT must be a cry for help!

Okay, so I've been a bit busy, but here are the shoes:
Shoes

Another view:

Shoes2

Insane but cute!

But here's a question that's been plaguing me since I bought them (it won't be warm enough to wear them for a while yet): what, exactly, am I going to wear them with? If I were tall and thin, it would be a turquoise shirtdress with brown belt. Or white belt if I also had a white bag. Or, if I were tall and thin and didn't need to go anywhere and could be guaranteed an exact match, a white shirtdress with turquoise leather belt. None of these conditions apply, though, so I'm stuck. When you're not tall and thin, and your shoes have skulls on them, the rest of your outfit should pretty much scream understatement. Possibly a brown A-line skirt with white shirt and some kind of turquoise accessory.

Clearly, I've put too much thought into this. Black still matches with everything, right?

On another note, Friday Five. They're in honor of the Police reunion, which explains why they're weird:

1. Who’s got you wrapped around his or her finger?
Nobody. Unless you count my addiction to shoes (please don't).

2. What’s as easy to learn as your ABCs?
The IPA (well, the parts that apply to English, in any case).

3. Whose destiny is to be the king (or queen) of pain?
Nobody, I hope.

4. Who would you like not to stand so close to you?
One of my students, of course!

5. Which animals’ stings have you experienced?
I got stung by a bee once.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Okay, I guess I can see that, as far as us normal people are concerned. I suppose going to a low-end salon indicates that her incentive was to get rid of her hair, rather than to try a new style.

Okay, brown skirt it is (you can never have too many neutrally colored A-line skirts anyway).

Belted dresses are for people who don't have waists and need to create them, and the thick belts that seem to be in style now are for tall people. Belted dresses (unlike capri pants or yeti boots) look great on the right people, just not me.

Patrick J. Vaz said...

Great shoes, possibly the greatest ever. I was going to say "doesn't black go with everything?" but you've already thought of that, which makes me think the shoes are so great you just feel the need to buy a new outfit to got with them, like redoing the whole living room because you bought one new chair.

I don't know how thorough the coverage of BS has been out there, but one rumor is that she cut her hair because Fed-Ex was about to demand a sample (through court order) to prove she has been using drugs and therefore is an unfit mother, which doesn't seem like something that needs additional proof. The alernative is that maybe she's just crazy.