Monday, February 19, 2007

Late Friday Five

I spent the weekend working. Well, technically, I spent Sunday working. I spent Saturday shopping for a new bag, which felt like work.

My old bag was exactly the style and size I wanted, if poorly made. It fell apart after six months. Okay, I thought, I'll just go to a higher quality shop and pay more for a similar, but longer-lasting, bag. But it was not to be.

First of all, there are two basic sizes of purse: too small to be of any use whatsoever and big enough to hide a corpse, should you need to do so. The first category is clearly unsuitable. The second category is unsuitable because 1. all these bags have open tops for some reason. Just what you need in a land of snow and pickpockets, 2. they're taller than they are wide, which creates strata for things to get lost in, and 3. I'd look stupid carrying around a bag that's bigger than me.

So, purses are out. Briefcases are also out because they tended to either be designed for notebooks, and therefore bigger than what I was looking for, or exactly the right size and shape but without shoulder straps. Who makes a bag without a shoulder strap?!?

I ruled out messenger bags because I wanted a bag with an actual structure to it, and also because I feel I am too old for them. But after hours and hours of searching and lowering my standards I found a 200-rouble (about $8) green messenger bag. It's a temporary solution, as it's going to fall apart any day now, but it will do for now. What I like most about it is that it looks like an inventory bag. So I can use it on my many quests.

I also bought two pairs of shoes, including one Dia de los Muertos pair.

It's time for the Fri...er...Monday Five!
1. For these first seven weeks of 2007, what’s something you give yourself an A for?
Buying shoes. Seriously, that's all I've got. But they're good shoes.

2. What’s something you give yourself a B for?
Teaching. I have yet to walk out of a lesson thinking "ugh, that was awful," and I've only really been late twice (and it was only my fault once).

3. What’s something you give yourself a C for?
Doing the rest of my job. It's a busy time of year, so while I'm doing my job, I'm not very organized or efficient about it.

4. What’s something you give yourself a D for?
Eating right. I need to cook more and eat less chocolate.

5. What’s something you give yourself an F for?
Drinking.

3 comments:

Patrick J. Vaz said...

You can get Dia de los Muertos shoes in Moscow? And what exactly do they look like -- are they shaped like skulls with flowers on top? I think you have the topic for your next blog entry.

Unknown said...

Nothing as exciting as that. They're just regular shoes with skulls and flowers printed on them. I thought I'd find them on the manufacturer's website, but no such luck, so I'll get a picture when I can.

Russia is possibly the only place where you can get Dia de los Muertos shoes. Ironically, it's far too cold in November to actually wear these.

pttyck said...

Love those shoes!!!!!