Sunday, June 28, 2009

On the road again!

So, it looks like the video embedding phase has passed, and now I can write about what's really on my mind, which is this:

I'm going home soon!

And also:

I'm spending a week in Costa Rica!

For some reason*, though, I'm really freaked out about botflies. Even though a botfly infestation is probably not going to be harmful (I've searched the internet, but I can't find a single example of long term healh problems caused by botflies), they still really creep me out.

The best piece of advice I have heard is to prevent mosquito bites (there are a lot of reasons why this is a good idea) and iron everything, as sometimes the flies lay eggs on wet clothes.


Speaking of travel advice, I read this article recently. I agree with most of what she says, though I also agree with the commenters that she glosses over safety issues a bit. I think there are two reasons for this:

1. It's a short article. What do you want?
2. There is so much information out there about how dangerous and weird other countries can be, especially for American women (actually, for us there is a lot of information out there about how dangerous and weird every single square foot of the planet, including your own home, can be), that she is setting herself up as the opposing voice.

I'm actually really bothered by the assumption that a short article on women travelling has to deal with safety issues. A longer, more in-depth, article about a specific location would, of course, have to address safety issues, no matter who it was aimed at. But a short interview?

Well, I've written about this before, actually.

As for her comments about not feeling comfortable in the Middle East, I think most American women would agree. I find it far more interesting that she has a friend who does feel comfortable there. I'd like to see an interview with her next.

What she was getting at, though, is that if you travel to a country where you look very different, you are going to get a lot of attention. If you can't deal with that (I couldn't, but now I can), you have to choose your destinations more carefully (I did, but now I don't).

(I also feel compelled to add that 5'2" is not really tall in Asia. I was hoping it might be, but it is not).


* I'm pretty sure the reason is that they are fly larvae that burrow into your skin, grow, and then burrow back out again.

4 comments:

vicmarcam said...

Thanks for finding out about botflies and the poison trees that you told me about earlier. There are also bullet ants, malaria carrying mosquitoes,tarantulas and poisonous snakes. And don't even get me started about dengue fever.

jenbavani said...

wait, does "home" = here or russia? when are you going to be here?!

amy said...

Botflies are found in "the southern united states." This does not make me feel good.

Unknown said...

Okay, I apologize for posting about botflies!!!

But on the bright side you'd come away with a cool scar and a story.

I'm here now, but going to Costa Rica on Monday. I'll be back in California on the 13th.