Saturday, March 14, 2009

Vampire readers: feel free to weigh in

Because I know everything, I've concluded that, if I made movies then they'd either be about 10 minutes long or really, really boring. It would look something like this:
1. protagonists meet and fall in love
2. they arrange to be together then go on with their lives

Or this:
1. protagonists don't fall in love because it's inadvisable
2. they go on with their lives

I know this because during movies I tend to say stuff like this:
"He should just bite her and then they could be vampires together."
a few minutes later...
"Okay, he should wait four years, then bite her, so she can buy alcohol for them."

Yeah, so, I watched "Twilight" yesterday. I have to say, I liked it. I wonder if so many people hated it because it was so popular. I do kind of wish that it was either a dark and serious movie or a romantic one, and not trying to be all middle ground. What I mean is, the film is too dark and depressing for you to feel happy at the end, but at the same time I was left wondering why anyone wouldn't want to be a vampire. A less serious film would be mindless fluff, but there is a place for mindless fluff in the world.

A more serious film would have focused more on positive and negative aspects of vampirism. Do more recently-changed vampires shy away from eating people because they remember what it's like to be human? Is it that older vampires grew up during a time when there was less respect for human life? Or is it just a coincidence that the non-human-eating vampires in the movie tend to be younger? I thought it was interesting that they would kill an evil vampire but not evil humans. What's with all the self-hatred? Why hide from humans? Why not just be like "hey, we're vampires but we only eat animals. Unless you bother us. Is that going to be a problem for you?" I would like these questions answered.

So I guess my main complaint about Twilight is that it isn't X-Men.

I also wanted to say something about how you shouldn't sneak into your girlfriend's house and watch her sleep, but that sort of implies that it's ok to sneak into other people's houses and watch them sleep, or to sneak into your girlfriend's house for reasons other than sleep-watching. My actual advice is, don't sneak into ANYONE'S house.

2 comments:

vicmarcam said...

Do you realize there are three more movies coming? I haven't seen it yet and I haven't read the books yet, but the students who hang out in my room at lunch are very concerned about Edward.
Actually, it was funny seeing how it caught on at school. The first wave was the kids who were reading the books a year ago. These were all girls and avid readers already. Then, sometime around May, it started to catch on in a big way. When we returned to school, two teachers started a Twilight club. It was probably the largest club on campus and was the next wave of readers. These were romantic girls and the most androgynous of the boys. Then when the movie came out, the third wave started, which included boys who realized that it gave them a way to talk to girls.
Here in middle school land, no one hated the movie. And most of the reviews were along the lines of, "it is just what twelve year old girls would like to see." So, you know people who hated it?
Anyway, I loved your review and laughed out loud at several places.

Unknown said...

I think "hate" was maybe too strong a word. I was just going by the numbers on Rotten Tomatoes. I did find one review that said see it (if you're a 12 year old girl)/skip it (if you're everyone else).

I do wonder if sometimes I take more away from films than I'm meant to. Like, I'm watching Twilight wondering if post-enlightenment vampires don't eat people, while pre-enlightenment vampires do. And then I got to wondering why vampires ever bothered to make more of themselves, as it just seems like competition for resources. As in, if you can choose between having the person you bite turn into a second vampire or just die, why would you ever choose the first option?

But I've read that the movie was ACTUALLY about sex and how high school kids shouldn't do it. So, sometimes I totally miss what I'm meant to take away from a film.

That said, the idea of a Twilight club sounds creepy.