Friday, March 27, 2009

Let it have its ears!

I'm not married and I don't have any kids, and, as such, I don't have opinions on raising children. I have OPINIONS on raising children.

Today's OPINION is about circumcision. It just seems like this topic has been coming up (so to speak) a lot lately, always in conversation with other women who aren't married and don't have children.

Except for one argument with my mother, who has children. She was shocked and disappointed that my views were so extreme.* But, as for the rest, we all have extreme views. I am strongly opposed.

I am sure that's a big surprise. The simple reason is, I don't believe that unnecessary surgery should be performed on infants. Unnecessary surgery on someone who is not only too young to make an informed decision, but who is also too young to make (or at least communicate) an uninformed one.

People either strongly agree or strongly disagree with that. I have not heard anyone say that she'd leave it up to the kid's father, who, after all, might have more insight into the situation.

Because people have such strong opinions, I never really try to change their minds. But I also think that, if "unnecessary surgery on an infant" doesn't do the trick, I don't really see the point in continuing the argument. To me, that's the only argument you need.

But today I have some time on my hands:

1. "It lowers the risk of HIV transmission/cancer/other horrible condition."

I am not trying to be funny when I say that I kind of want to have my appendix taken out just so I don't have to worry about it anymore. I have a friend who almost died because she didn't know she had appendicitis. If there were a way to have my appendix out for free with local anaesthetic, I would be all over that.

Most people look at me like I've lost my mind when I say this. Some people think I'm onto something.

But imagine I'm saying the same thing about a newborn baby: "Isn't she cute? We've scheduled her appendectomy for next week. Of course it will hurt, but it's healthier in the long run." I hope you would call child protective services.

2. "I don't like foreskins."

Speaking of calling child protective services... To be fair, I think that what they mean to say is:

2a. "Girls don't like foreskins."

Honestly, I hope this is true. I do not want my kids to be sleeping around! And I especially do not want them sleeping around before they're 18, at which point they can get whatever surgery they want in order to facilitate the sleeping around.

3. "But it will hurt later. If you get it done when they're babies, they won't remember the pain."

But it's not like it's something they'll need to get done eventually and therefore it's best to get it out of the way when they won't remember it. It's optional, and by having it done when they're babies, you're taking that option away. It's like giving your kid a bunch of tattoos because they might want them someday.

So, for the record, I am opposed. Honestly, I would want it to be illegal but for the fact that a lot of people would get it done underground.

I didn't address any religious arguments because it's not my place to do so. Also because nobody I've discussed this with is religious. Anyway, I think it's a change that needs to be made within the religious communities (Jewish, Muslim, I don't know of any others) that do it. For a not-so-good parallel, I'd find it weird if a Jewish or Muslim person questioned the practice of baptizing infants, but I'll listen to Christians who question it.

If you read the Bible (another Lent thing I'm doing), it's easier to understand why Jewish people continue this practice. It's more significant than I had realized before reading the Bible. I haven't read the Quran, so I can't really comment.**


* I didn't ask you this at the time, but what did you expect from someone who is opposed to dog ownership? I mean, I am not really known for my grasp of complexity and nuance, nor my acceptance of practices that I decide are unnatural.

** If I had a minute for every time I said this, I'd have read the Quran by now. No joke.

8 comments:

vicmarcam said...

Your first paragraph is hilarious.

In answer to your single asterisk question to me, I suppose I am constantly surprised by your generation, which blows my generation out of the water with its acceptance of almost all lifestyle choices, but at the same time can be so intolerant of some of the more traditional choices that people make.
I still stand by my opinion that it's an odd topic to get so worked up about, but your experience has been that you are far from the only one with a strong opinion on the topic.
The dogs say hello, by the way.

Unknown said...

To be fair, I am really, really intolerant. I've never thought it was a generational thing. But I'm curious now. What other traditional choices are people intolerant of?

Patrick J. Vaz said...

I wasn't sure if I should comment on circumcision here or not. It might be a lot more than you want to hear from me on this topic, you know? But
this reminds me of Elaine on that Seinfeld episode saying that the uncircumcised ones just "don't have any personality." It really seems like the sort of thing where the mother should let the father make the decision, for reasons that I hope are obvious.

CMB said...

As the least religious person discussing this, I feel the need to make the most religious comment: I’ve heard all of those arguments before, but in my opinion if it weren’t meant to be there than it wouldn’t be there. It really bothers me that some people feel so strongly about cutting it off.

I think your argument for 2a only works for sons. I wouldn’t want my son sleeping with anyone that would reject him because he had foreskin. Having said that, I would be horrified if my daughter were that shallow. So I guess what I’m saying is that my daughter can sleep around as long as she doesn’t discriminate…wait, that’s not what I mean.

pttyck said...

Seems just lately I heard that circumcision is safer as far as STDS go. In Biblical times I guess this was done for health reasons. Many practices were done for this reason.

pttyck said...

As usual, I got that totally backwards. Circumcision is better as far as STDS go.

pttyck said...

Oh My God!!!!! Just ignore me!!!! Too early in the morning I guess.

Unknown said...

Ha...yes, 2a only works for sons. Of course my daughters aren't going to know what a foreskin is.

I plan on telling my kids that everybody except them has cooties and it's best not to touch other people ever. The thing is, when you don't lie to your kid about Santa Claus, you get to lie about something else. I'm using my free lie to keep my kids celibate.

Actually, I'm probably just going to tell them, "if God wanted you to sleep around, He would have given you shorter arms."

Either way, I'm pretty much going to be the worst parent ever.