Thursday, May 29, 2008

Can't stand no more

Every summer, the hot water goes off for 2 to 4 weeks while workers prepare the pipes for winter. It happens at different times in different cities (or, if you live in a big enough city, different areas of the city). Russians cannot fathom a world in which this does not happen. But then they also don't have the concept of running out of hot water on a regular basis.

The hot water usually goes off in mid-July. I was planning to be long gone by that time this year. This year, the hot water went off on May 12. What's more, the central heating system in the flats depends on hot water (don't ask me to explain because I do not know) and it has been a very cold May until this week.

So that's why I haven't updated. I'm too busy heating pots of water on the stove every time I want to take a bath or wash the dishes.

The good news is, the hot water should be back any day now. I cannot wait.


The other good news is, Russia totally won Eurovision on Saturday. More importantly, Dima Bilan won Eurovision.

Dima Bilan is a popstar with a mullet. He is also ultra hot. Don't ask me to explain because I do not know. Anyway, he won the Eurovision with a very, very Eurovision song and performance:

That's Yevgeny Plushenko, just in case Russia's win wasn't already a foregone conclusion.

I must admit, I didn't care for the song. I much prefer the 2006 entry, which got second place:

He can't really dance. It adds to his charm. My coworkers performed this song (and dance!) for my birthday that year.

Anyway, last year I promised a treatise on Eurovision, which never came. That was before I found out about YouTube. YouTube and Wikipedia together will tell you everything you need to know about Eurovision. Particularly insane performances include: Litunania 2006, Ukraine 2007, and Latvia 2008. Songs I actually kinda liked: Bosnia and Herzegovina 2006, Sweden 2007, France 2007, Germany 2007 (I liked Eurovision 2007). Winners: Greece 2005, Finland 2006, Serbia 2007.

The awesome news is, because of Russia's win, Eurovision will be in Moscow next year. If I could afford tickets or stand crowds, I would so be there.

3 comments:

vicmarcam said...

Well, Eurovision has left me pretty speechless. I suppose it's for the best that mothers and daughters don't share the same opinion about what makes for hotness. Lithuania 2006 is absolutely hilarious. I kept thinking that the song was going to start soon, but then it became clear that that was the song. France 2007--bizarre. Is that a black cat that one of the singers was wearing? I can see why you enjoy watching it. I also saw a clip that had an introduction that made me realize that Eurovision is a travel advertisement for the countries involved, too.
By the way, if Dima Bilan gets you too excited, you apparently can easily take a cold shower.

Patrick J. Vaz said...

Several days ago I was looking through the future DVD releases on Amazon and saw Eurovision 2008, so I immediately thought of you. Then last night a certain person whom I won't name but she's closely related to you said, "Did you see Marin's latest entry? She's crazy!" I should have said it out loud, but I thought: Eurovision entry!!!!

Unknown said...

The hot water is back!!

Yes, that was a black cat (not a real one, though it wouldn't surprise me). There are lots more weird performances that I didn't even list.

I have a feeling I can guess who that certain person is. Was she talking about my taste in music or my taste in men? This is important because I need to determine if my next entry should be about ABBA or Sir Ian McKellen.

What's actually crazy is that so many of the countries (especially Russia) take this contest so seriously. The UK is ready to withdraw their sponsorship because their guy came in last. I might write more about this because I find it fascinating.