Saturday, September 1, 2007

Yeah, well, you're interferon with our good time

I have a number of excuses for not having updated. To start with, I was in Siberia. I got back to Moscow two days before starting work, so I've been busy (the start of the year is busy for me).

Now I am preoccupied because my boyfriend is in the hospital with pneumonia. They caught it really really early (they can't even hear it), so he will be fine. He has to stay in the hospital for at least a week because it's Russia. The hospital is clean and they're treating him well, so hopefully he won't still be there in a month (this happened to a friend of mine who went in for appendicitis, was neglected by hospital staff, almost died, changed hospitals, and needed a bunch more surgeries). He doesn't like the food, but there's a little cafe on the first floor and plenty of people to bring him food. The hospital itself is close to one of the companies I teach at, which would be great if the visiting hours were longer (remember, this is Russia). As it is, though, it's pretty easy to get to.

I don't have much to say about the trip right now other than that it was super awesome and I want to go back to Siberia. I think I will find the time to blog more about it. I took a ton of photos that will also need to be posted.

It is also worth noting that my birthday is coming up in less than two months (somebody older and wiser advised me to enjoy these months because it's all downhill from there), and I have decided that this is certainly the perfect gift for me. Because I like to travel, I worry excessively about security, and I am la бегемотка, which is very bastardized Russian for "little hippopotamus."* And because I've always wanted a luggage lock that costs 3-5x as much as any item of luggage I own.


* In Russian, this isn't insulting. Cartoon hippopotami are funny and friendly, so that's what it means. I like it because they're depicted as friendly creatures but are actually quite deadly. I also enjoy having a nickname that requires a footnote.

2 comments:

pttyck said...

Hi Marin, I'm so glad you had such a wonderful trip. I could tell rom the e-mails that you were really enjoying your travels.
Who told you it's all downhill from now??? That's crazy!!!! It's never downhill. Maybe down a hill and up one. LOl.
Putin is a hottie!!!! Were those pics of him big in Russia?

Love, Grandma

vicmarcam said...

Poor Dmitry! I'm so glad he went in and it was caught early. Last year, Megan had it and her only symptom, other than being really tired, was that her upper chest hurt when she breathed. It was so high up, though, that her mother thought she had a sore throat instead of a sore chest.
Downhill? Does that mean it gets easier? I wouldn't say that. But it doesn't really get harder either. Unless you're a gymnast or figure skater, I'd say your best years are very much ahead of you.
Excellent title, by the way!