Monday, May 14, 2007

Eurovision!

I promise a dissertation on Eurovision before the week is out. In summary, while it's officially the Eurovision Song Contest, songwriting is just about the last consideration. Contestants are evaluated on the basis of:
- staging
- looks
- catchiness
- kitschiness
- how favorably their country is viewed by people voting in other countries
- musical talent
- looks
- lyrics

This was only my third Eurovision, but I will admit to being a bit obsessed with it when it comes around.

Anyway, how it works is, each country chooses somebody to send to represent their country in the song contest. This year, 42 countries participated. There are always 24 countries in the final round: Britain, France, Germany, Spain (because these four countries are the biggest sponsors), the top 10 from the previous years, and the top 10 from the semifinal, which airs earlier in the week (and which I've never seen).

There are 24 performances, most of which are delightfully over-the-top and in terrible English (this year's winner was the first winning song since 1998 to contain no English lyrics). The winner is determined by phone voting. You can't vote for the country you're in, which is reasonable. Each country announces its top 10, with 12 points going to first, 10 to second, 8 to third and 7-1 to the 4th-10th.

People always complain about the voting because it seems to be about culture or politics, rather than about the music. Germany ranked Turkey highly because there are a lot of Turkish immigrants in Germany. Russia gives points to Georgia, but not vice-versa, for the same reason. Malta always gives the UK 12 points. The former Yugoslav republics have each others' backs (to some extent). Russia, Belarus, and Ukraine vote for each other. Israel votes for Russia, Belarus and Ukraine. Cyprus votes for Greece. Turkey gives points to Armenia, but not vice-versa. The Scandinavian countries vote for each other, but it's slightly less blatant, and I think it's actually in response to the other blocs. This, for me, is just part of what makes Eurovision Eurovision, but some people are actually upset about it and there is talk of the western countries, which get screwed over due to their stable borders and low emigration rates, withdrawing in protest.

Actually, this is almost a dissertation. So I promise a dissertation on this last Eurovision in particular (which was my favorite of the three, despite the lack of Croatia, Dima Bilan, or the Eurovision drinking game) sometime soon.


I also bought a hat today, because I have decided that I no longer go outside without covering my head and I was getting bored of scarves. If I could afford it (not even close: gloves are very expensive!), I'd start wearing gloves everywhere. Nobody would notice, or care, because when you're a foreigner living in Russia you can wear pretty much whatever you want. This is partly because Russians are very flashy and just flat-out ignore traditional rules of dress. If you decide to wear a leopard-print vinyl miniskirt, you're still the most conservatively dressed person in the room. If you feel like wearing three slightly-but-observably different flower prints, you're still one of the most coordinated. And it's partly because they have low expectations for foreigners (especially Americans). If you decide to wear unironed jeans and tennis shoes everywhere, well, that's just what Americans wear.

Next time someone asks me why I live in Russia, I will direct them to this blog entry. It's all about Eurovision and hats.


In other, more important, news: tomorrow is open-toed shoe day!

2 comments:

vicmarcam said...

Thank you for your very helpful semi-dissertation. So it's more like the Senate than the House. Each country gets an equal number of votes, no matter how many people vote or how big the country is.

Previously I wrote that there was a story on the BBC World News. I thought that was amusing enough, but then the next day, they had another story about the homecoming of the winning team. Wow.

So, do they have commentators? When each country is announcing its scores, is someone saying, "Well, you can really see the influence of the Armenian migrant population here, Jim."

Hats and gloves! I'm all for it. You go, girl.

Unknown said...

No commentators, at least not in Russia. Russia seems to just do a straight broadcast with dubbing. I think other countries have commentators. I hope so, anyway.

I think this particular Eurovision is a big deal because the winner didn't have a huge, insane production, and also because western Europe made up 6 of the bottom 7 countries. But I do remember you saying you heard a couple clips on NPR last year.

My coworkers all laughed at the hat (it's red and 1920s-looking) until I put it on, at which point they had to admit it looked good. I suppose it helps that I'm the boss. Oksana said that I don't seem like a hat person (true), but then I took it out of the bag and she said "it's so you!"

I'd love to have some nice gloves for summer, but every pair I've seen costs more than the dress I just bought, and would be white or beige, so I really can't justify it. At all.