Monday, April 16, 2007

Siberia!

So, the plane tickets are purchased and now I can say that I'm going to Siberia!

Coworker: People used to say that in the 1950's, too, but I think it was in a different tone.

I wrote a possible itinerary and now have to go about getting all my ducks in a row so I can write the final itinerary. But, basically, I'm going to New York for my brother's graduation, on to California for a couple weeks at home, then to Beijing for a few days (trying to figure out just how many is the hard part), then I'm taking the trans-Mongolian railway back to Moscow. So, from Beijing, I want to go to another city in China because otherwise it's a long train ride. In any case, it goes: Beijing - ? - Ulan Baatar (the capital of Mongolia) - Ulan Ude (first stop in Russia) - Lake Baikal and Irkutsk, where I'll spend a few days - Zima (which not only breaks up the train journey, but was also described as "a weird little town" on one website and has a poem written about it) - Krasnoyarsk - Novosibirsk - Omsk - Tobolsk - Yekaterinburg, where I'll spend another few days - Perm - Nizhny Novgorod - Moscow. Of course, this is idealistic, as train timetables, money, and the fact that I might get fed up and quit will all disrupt the itinerary. But this is the dream.

And it has led to the biggest packing challenge of my life (which is why I've started thinking about it two months in advance). I need to bring a camera, documents, money, and some other stuff. The other stuff has to be suitable for a graduation ceremony in New York (my current wardrobe, I feel, is inadequately preppy), walking around New York City (inadequately fashionable), walking around Beijing (I don't really think I can blend in here, but I don't want to stand out more than I have to), walking around small, nature-infested Siberian towns and Lake Baikal (inadequately rugged), walking around bigger Russian cities (I at least have this one covered), and spending a lot of time on trains. It will also have to not need ironing, be hand-washable, and fit into no more than two small bags and a backpack.

Anyway, I went shopping this weekend for something graduation-y (I decided to start from the beginning of the journey), but all I found were tent-shaped minidresses, dresses with a waistband that is supposed to fall somewhere around your hips (this wasn't due to my height (I have more sense than to try such a dress on), it's the way the dresses are actually supposed to fit), a lot of loud prints, and some passable clothes that were out of my price range. There was also a nice red skirt that I could afford and that looked like it would probably fit, but by the time I came across it I was feeling far too pear-shaped for a brightly colored skirt. It would have been inadequately preppy, anyway.

Anyway, looking around at all the cute clothes made me think of how much money I've probably saved by being rather difficult to shop for. If I were six feet tall and rail-thin, there's no way I'd have enough money to go to Siberia because I'd have spent all my money on clothes because everything I tried on would look good. At least, that's what I imagine such a life would be like.

I also discovered that, no matter how many shoes I have, I can't not walk into a shoe store. Just to look, of course. I'm like a recovering alcoholic who still goes to bars, or a newlywed who still reads Craigslist. In other words, it might not end well.

3 comments:

Patrick J. Vaz said...

I read this earlier today and waited to see if I stopped laughing before commenting, but I haven't, so here goes: nature-infested! Best. Compound Adjective. Ever.
I especially love that it comes from a science teacher's daughter. I wonder if that's similar to being a preacher's daughter, not to point fingers at anyone you happen to be related to (I mean, anyone your mother happens to be related to).
I don't know how the exchange rates would work, but might it be cheaper to shop for some clothes in NYC or here and then ship them to Moscow while you leave carrying only China and Siberia clothes? I don't know what you're going to do about shoes, though.
I realized after reading this that when I was your age I was 6 feet (6' 1", actually) and rail thin (even by 1970s standards -- unfortunately it was the 1980s by then). That's probably not such a good thing for a guy, though. But in my experience, it does not get easier to shop for clothes. But then I never had your fashion sense.

vicmarcam said...

So, PJWV, you can see how difficult choosing vacations for my two offspring was. I have Miss "nature-infested" and Mr. "All cities in the world are basically the same." Our vacations tended to become great compromises, which probably made neither very happy. We'll go to Alaska, but on a cruise ship! We'll go to Yellowstone, but have a fancy dinner!

So, Marin, daughter of Science teacher, I have to now become the nerd of all nerds. I can't believe you get to see Lake Baikal! It is the Australia of fresh water lakes. It has more unique species than anywhere else on Earth. I just saw a show on it.

You should check out the World Heritage Sites website. I think you have a chance of checking several off the list (if you're keeping a list) on this trip.

As far as clothing goes, I think you will find that New York City clothing may be less sophisticated than Moscow's, and I think your sundress from Ann Taylor would work great for the graduation. I also suspect I'm missing the point here, which may be that you have an excuse to go shopping.

Unknown said...

I don't know what I'm going to do about shoes, either.

Okay, now I'm laughing at the description of Moscow style as sophisticated. Fashionable, sometimes, but never, ever sophisticated.

I considered that dress, because it would be perfect (an Ann Taylor sundress is adequately preppy. I could wear it to play golf on a yacht and not feel out of place), but it doesn't travel well (it wrinkles like crazy), and I'd be sad if anything bad happened to it.

I don't really like shopping, though it does get me out of the house. But clothes shopping kind of depresses me and I walk away with nothing most of the time. Or I give up halfway through and go to shoe stores instead.