Monday, March 26, 2007

The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems

I am a nerdy, obnoxious drunk. I spent my Saturday evening insisting to this guy named Luke that he was *totally* named after the Star Wars character, and his parents' first date *totally* must have been one of the Star Wars movies, and that is *totally* cute. Becuase, you know, that name didn't exist before Star Wars.

I spent my Sunday vowing never to drink or leave the house ever again.


1. If you could suddenly speak one language fluently (that you don't currently speak) what would it be?
Russian, because it would make my life easier. Or maybe Old Church Slavic, because it's more unusual, and would make learning Russian easier anyway.

2. If you were to suggest a foreign film, that you really enjoyed, what one would you suggest?
Amelie, Rashomon, The Seven Samurai, The Idiot, Ran, Ivan the Terrible, Yi Yi, some others.

3. If you had to call another country home (other than the one you currently live in) what one would you choose?
Hmm...I suppose America would be the obvious answer. But, actually, Sweden. Good health care, good social programs, and it looks like a model railroad set.

4. If you went out to buy an import music CD, what one would you buy?
I have no idea what counts as import. I get everything from iTunes or the Zelenograd network now.

5. If you were to chose an ethnic dinner, what would it be?
Decent, affordable Chinese food, or maybe sushi that actually came from the ocean to my plate without being frozen in between. Or heirloom tomatoes (does upper middle class count as an ethnicity?)

1 comment:

Patrick J. Vaz said...

There's always the chance the guy thought the Luke thing was really cute. Maybe. Could be. It's possible! It is!

Speaking of foreign films, I'm very excited because I'm getting a four-disc set of Animated Soviet Propaganda. Yes, hours of cartoons about the triumph of the proletariat! I can't wait. Also, next time you're here, you should borrow my copy of Tarkovsky's Andrei Rublev.

Speaking of the next time you're here, any decision about the summer trip? I'm no help either -- obviously we'd love to have you here as long as possible, but a train ride through Siberia also sounds like something you need to do at least once.